Stepping into the world of anal play can be daunting. The idea of it can excite us, can be a turn on and can get us in the mood for some seriously steamy fun. But, when it comes to the actual act, well… that’s when so many of us stop. Maybe we think it’s a little too taboo, maybe we are scared or maybe it’s simply because we don’t know where to start.
So, as the famous song goes….Let’s Start at the very beginning. A very good place to start!
What Is a Butt Plug?
A butt plug is a sex toy that is inserted in the rectum to provide a feeling of fullness. This experience can be highly arousing. Generally short, these adult toys should have a flared base, a slender neck and a rounded bulb that tapers into a tip for to aid insertion.
Butt plugs make a great first introduction because of their simple and uncomplicated design.
They can be made from plastic, silicone, metal, glass or wood. Some models vibrate whilst others come with remote and even app control.
Worn during both masturbation and sexual intercourse, these versatile sex toys can be used to enhance almost any sexual activity including oral sex. The anus has more nerve endings than any other part of the body. Wearing a butt plug enables you to tap into this vibrant pleasure zone and experience sensations like no other.
The wearing of a butt plug significantly reduces the space in the pelvis. This means the vagina will feel tighter. This not only increases your pleasure levels but if your partners too as it will make your vagina feel very different for them too.
When you reach orgasm, the muscles and contractions around the plug will be stronger and more powerful.
So if you’re up for more powerful and intense orgasms take a look at how to use a butt plug.
How to Insert a Butt Plug
Follow these simple steps for how to use a butt plug and let passionbugs guide you to backdoor bliss.
- Using the toilet and emptying your bowels about an hour before play will help prevent any unpleasantness during play.
- A long hot shower will also help to keep things fresh and more inviting.
- Douching – this is entirely optional, but it is a great way to clear the back passage of any poop and if you were planning on a shower, well that is the best place for douching so you can kill two birds with one stone. Link to anal douche toy
- Just like any other sex toy, it’s an absolute must to ensure the intended butt plug is clean. We all know where it is going and where it might have already been, so be sure it’s sparkling before getting down to business.
When it comes to anal adventures lube is not optional it is essential. Because unlike the vagina, the anus does not self-lubricate. Anal lubricant is best. It is thicker so it protects the delicate anal muscles helping to prevent any potential tearing (ouch!) Whilst any water based lube could do the job, things will be much easier and much more fun with a thick, slick anal lube.
Get Warmed Up
Whatever you do, do not dive straight in at the deep end. Your bottom will not forgive you and you could end up with an unpleasant trip to the hospital. Anal sex and anal play is perfectly safe providing you are careful.
Your rectum will be far more forgiving of a butt plug if it feels aroused. Spend some time playing and warming up these muscles before inserting any toy. Try teasing the area around the anus. Drawing circles with a well lubed finger is fabulously arousing. Experiment with sliding a finger, or two, in and out of the butt gently.
When it comes to actually inserting the butt plug:
- Firstly make sure to apply a generous amount of lube to both yourself and the butt plug.
- A tried and test position for easy insertion is Doggy Style and inserting the plug from behind.
- Lying on your back with your legs spread is also a favourite or you may just prefer squatting over the plug on either your feet or your knees.
- Hold both the base and the bulb of the butt plug, position the tip at the opening of the rectum. If you can, angle the plug slightly towards the stomach before gently pushing. Insert the plug a little bit at a time. Take deep breaths and give your body time to adjust before inserting more. You don’t need to insert the whole plug. Take only what you feel comfortable with.
Remember the butt muscles are incredibly strong so they are going to give a fair bit of resistance. If you’re struggling to insert the butt plug it may be because you are not relaxed enough. Breathing deeply can help as can bearing down (like you would when trying to go to the loo).
The flared base of the plug should remain on the outside of your body for safety. This stops it travelling too far into the rectum and avoiding an embarrassing trip to A&E.
Once the plug is inserted there is no need for you to hold it. It should stay put whatever you do decide to get up to.
Never put anything inside your butt that doesn’t have a flared base. Trust us, the risk is simply not worth it. Flared bases or finger loops are also handy for insertion and removal. And when you get more confident they can be used for gentle tugging and twisting during play for even more sensations.
Beginner Friendly Butt Plugs
If you’re just starting out then we recommend opting for a smaller, slimmer butt plug. You can always go bigger later but going too big too soon could put you off entirely or even cause you harm. And fear not, even the smallest plugs are still going to tap into lots of those nerve endings for incredible sensations.
Silver Jewelled Aluminium Beginner’s Butt Plug
- A sparkling jewelled metal butt plug with a stunning blue stone.
- Super smooth making for easy insertion.
- Heat it up or cool it down for thrilling temperature play.
- Compatible with all lubes.
- Perfect for beginners.
Loving Joy Butt Plug
- A beginner friendly butt plug with T-Bar.
- The handle base provides both safety and easy removal.
- Wear during foreplay or solo play for added thrills.
- Always apply a good anal lubricant for comfort and maximum fun.
Me You Us Aquavee Vibrating Butt Plug
- A powerful vibrating butt plug.
- The T-Shaped base provides total peace of mind during play.
- Totally waterproof so you can enjoy wet and wild adventures.
- Shaped with a small, smooth tip that gradually widens for ease of insertion.
- At 4.5 inches this plug is suitable for everybody regardless of gender.
Booty Bundle – Anal Play Sex Toy Kit (4 piece)
- Enjoy bootylicious bum fun with this collection of anal toys. Everything you need to begin your anal adventures. A luxurious silicone butt plug combines with anal beads for backdoor pleasure you can’t resist. Then take things up a level with added vibrations. An absolute must have for fans of anal play.
- In this sex toy kit:
- Silicone Butt Plug
- Anal Bead
- Vibrating Anal Beads
- Anal Douche
Now let’s get to the bit where you have purchased the chosen butt plug. You’ve navigated inserting it (round of applause please), and now its time to enjoy!
How to Use a Butt Plug for Couples Play
We mentioned before how important it is to warm up the butt before any anal activity. Foreplay and fun is perfect for getting those booty muscles begging for action. Caressing, kissing, licking and stroking the bottom and the area around the anus will certainly get things steamy. Ensure you apply lashings of lovely lube for super slippery fun. Not only will everything feel even more erotic with lube, things tend to slide in far more easily when they are well lubricated.
If you’re not comfortable with your partner doing the insertion, why not put on an arousing show for them.
If you have a remote, or app controlled plug you can spice things up by handing control to your partner.
Vibrating butt plugs can be used BEFORE they go into the bum, for teasing other erogenous zones such as the nipples and inner thighs… A bit like a bullet vibrator.
Butt plugs can be worn for everything from a passionate kiss and oral sex through to a hardening hand job. Whether you are giving or receiving, you will both get off from the addition of a butt plug.
How to Use a Butt Plug for Intercourse
One or both partners can wear butt plugs for sexual intercourse. If you have a vagina, butt plugs are an exciting and say way to experience double penetration. For those that enjoy the idea of a threesome but don’t actually want a third person in their bedroom, this is a highly erotic alternative.
Wearing a butt plug during sex will give a fuller feeling helping to intensify sensations and can result in the wearer experiencing much stronger orgasms.
It is also possible to experience an anal orgasm whilst wearing a butt plug. Anal orgasms feel totally different to orgasms achieved by penetration. An anal orgasm will feel like intense waves of pleasure accompanied by an increase in heart rate and breathing. These waves feel as if they have started deep inside your body, rising up for an all-encompassing orgasm. They are special and well worth investing some time in discovering them.
How to Use a Butt Plug for Solo Play
Anal toys are not just for partnered play. Solo play is an orgasmic opportunity to figure out how the butt plug can work for you.
Adding a butt plug to your usual masturbation style will add a new and exciting dimension of excitement. When we repeat the same stimulus over and over again our bodies can become bored and no longer turned on. Mixing things up a little will go a long way in freshening up the thrills and getting things hot and steamy once more.
Pair your butt plug experience with other sex toys such as a dildo, nipple suckers or a vibrator for dual stimulation (Hey, why not all three!)
Moving the plug in and out or gently tugging and twisting will also give variations of sensation.
Just do what feels good for you.
Top Tips for How to Use a Butt Plug
If you orgasm whilst wearing a plug, the anal muscles will have contracted meaning they will be super tight. Take a few moments to allow these muscles to relax before attempting to remove the plug.
A butt plug can be worn for several hours but we do recommend that you take it out every hour to reapply lube. This will prevent any friction or soreness that might be caused by over stimulation.
However you enjoy your butt plug forget the stigmas and embrace the joy of anal play. Remember, your booty is beautiful and backdoor play is just as beautiful.
If you’re keen to learn more, check out our Guide to Beginners Butt Plugs.